Southport - Boxing Day

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Southport - Boxing Day

Postby Dec53 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:04 am

from southport forum 'Port chat' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aZ-L37EimU
Dec53

Re: Southport - Boxing Day

Postby andrewa » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:04 pm

At last something posted on yesterdays match!

Was this another case of not being able to finish of teams whose form would suggest we should be winning easily? However if you look at Southport's recent away form it is not that bad, it's their home form that is poor. What is dissapointing is that yet again a big crowd turn up only to be sent away dissapointed. We don't concede much at all and we don't get beaten, if we could just nail down games like yesterdays we would be absolutely flying.
The way our recent performances have gone you would definitely bet on us coming away from the return game with 3 points, where the home team have to come out and be more open in their play.
andrewa

Postby mike1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:28 pm

andrewa wrote:At last something posted on yesterdays match!

Was this another case of not being able to finish of teams whose form would suggest we should be winning easily? However if you look at Southport's recent away form it is not that bad, it's their home form that is poor. What is dissapointing is that yet again a big crowd turn up only to be sent away dissapointed. We don't concede much at all and we don't get beaten, if we could just nail down games like yesterdays we would be absolutely flying.
The way our recent performances have gone you would definitely bet on us coming away from the return game with 3 points, where the home team have to come out and be more open in their play.

I think it was more a case of Southport showing much improved defensive quality. Maybe the arrival of the new coach has had a Sam Allardyce effect on a previously leaky defence! They got bodies in the way time and again in the penalty area and goalmouth and had a stroke or two of luck not least with Nick's penalty. Perhaps he lost his standing leg on a very poor surface as he shaped to shoot. There must be some reason why he managed to lift his shot so high over the bar. Personally I'd like to see Adam Blakeman entrusted with penalties until further notice. It needed a no-nonsense driven penalty in yesterday's conditions. Incidentally for me Adam was in a different class yesterday; he has so much quality on the ball. Southport were lively enough in an even first half but the double save by their keeper was pivotal - he got lucky with his second stop though. They 'parked the bus' for most of the second half and I don't recall Matt Urwin being tested at all in that second period. Dan Mooney looked full of promise when he came on. You may well be right, Andrew, in being confident that we can take all three points in the return.
mike1

Postby andrewa » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:39 pm

As a long time admirer of the "Sam Allardyce way" I would agree Mike. Once teams with sieve like defences get a grip of Sam's philosophy ie seal up the defence and build from that starting point, They become much harder to play against. Southport seem to be on that journey. Of course we have a superb defence and team ethic. What we need now is to start putting away chances , then there will be no stopping us!
andrewa

Return to Chorley FC