Southport: New Year's Day

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Southport: New Year's Day

Postby mark » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:15 pm

Many of you will have heard by now that a group of Chorley supporters is walking to our away match at Southport on New Year's Day. We are raising money for Derian House, Chorley Women's Centre and the Fan Ownership Fund. Any donations are most welcome, and you can find out all about the good causes we're supporting and how to donate on our localgiving page.

Thank you in advance for your support
mark
Site Admin

Re: Southport: New Year's Day

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:21 pm

I can't believe after 14 league games we gave Southport their first win for their manager.

That was a terrible performance, and a case of 1 step forward at Salford and two steps back against Southport.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Paul Brennan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:15 am

Yesterday was disappointing to say the least -but IMO the outpouring of hostility on Facebook by quite a few people, is well over the top.
Any team losing two very capable and solid defenders in the first 15 minutes would be weakened (although Anson played very well as it happens); we should have scored in the first half but partly through good luck on their part -and some lack of composure on our part -we didn't. The second "killer" goal was an individual error -they happen in football -and that ended our chances.
Southport were OK -yet they have spent heavily recently and sooner or later were going to win -just it happened to be us that were the ones to suffer.
Interesting that on FB Graham Watkinson highlights the unsuccessful pursuit of a player who turned CFC down in favour of a "bigger club" -again these things happen but, at least, there is ambition to try to improve the squad.

As always it is the manner of the response that defines character, so how we come back against Harrogate and Kiddy is the test now -6 points and we are well back in the race. COYM

Need to add -fantastic effort by all the sponsored walkers -well done!!
Paul Brennan

Postby charnock1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:39 am

Now for a bit of light humour

I thought at Salford we looked like world beaters
I thought at Southport we were more like panel beaters
charnock1

Postby magpie1875 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:58 am

Paul Brennan wrote:Interesting that on FB Graham Watkinson highlights the unsuccessful pursuit of a player who turned CFC down in favour of a "bigger club" -again these things happen but, at least, there is ambition to try to improve the squad.

£30k and he missed an absolute sitter - money doesn't guarantee goals.
magpie1875

Postby Paul Brennan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:22 pm

magpie1875 wrote:£30k and he missed an absolute sitter - money doesn't guarantee goals.

Don't think GW was referring to Gilchrist if that's who you mean -he says "Massive knock back by a lad only yesterday" so on 31st Dec or so.
Paul Brennan

Postby mike1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Paul Brennan wrote:Yesterday was disappointing to say the least -but IMO the outpouring of hostility on Facebook by quite a few people, is well over the top.
Any team losing two very capable and solid defenders in the first 15 minutes would be weakened (although Anson played very well as it happens); we should have scored in the first half but partly through good luck on their part -and some lack of composure on our part -we didn't. The second "killer" goal was an individual error -they happen in football -and that ended our chances.
Southport were OK -yet they have spent heavily recently and sooner or later were going to win -just it happened to be us that were the ones to suffer.

Sums it up perfectly, Paul. My only gripe would be that with the game over at 2-0 we were caught a second time without cover and shape at the back for a soft and embarrassing third goal. I've said it before that all of a sudden Southport are no longer a 'soft touch' and I suspect that the arrival of a new coach has worked wonders defensively pretty quickly. They have too many quality players to be as low in the table as they are. Just a thought : is Nick now trying to do a bit too much on his own? The trademark slalom dribbles were on view as usual yesterday but at times a lay-off was on and the opportunity not taken. Biggest miss for me was Matty Hughes poking the ball wide of a gaping net first half from about one yard out. We needed to score first in appalling conditions and had we done so I reckon it would have been a different game. Oh, and we were denied a clear penalty in the second half. Regardless of the disappointment, I don't think severe criticism is at all justified on a day when for much of the game the proceedings were something of a lottery and bordering on the farcical in the first half.
mike1

Postby Paul Brennan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:21 pm

mike1 wrote: Just a thought : is Nick now trying to do a bit too much on his own? The trademark slalom dribbles were on view as usual yesterday but at times a lay-off was on and the opportunity not taken

Agree with your assessment Mike -Nick has undoubted quality but needs to be a bit more aware of others' movement around him. Good to see him committed to CFC according to a Chorley Guardian article -and I'm sure he'll be a fantastic asset for the rest of the season (unlike some around us yesterday who were critical of him as "other teams have sussed him out"!!) Then again they were also saying that a four point gap to Kidderminster meant we could not make the pay-offs -what with 20 games still to play ?!
Paul Brennan

Postby chewy380 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:31 pm

If we've missed out on a player who's opted for a bigger club, why not name him?
chewy380

Postby Away days » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Gutted to have lost the game. The home game we just couldnt break them down ... but not for the lack of trying...as for away we knew they would have to be more adventurous but the pitch and conditions decided the out come of this game before a ball was kicked....as for nick haughton in the early games his vision and passing was next to none, but now i feel he is trying to carry the team too much, have we as fans heaped too much praise on such young shoulders?..... in a positive note i felt adam anson again was superb, comfortable in possession and also looked for the ball....and matty hughes needs to start more games...he is direct and quick and has great enthusiasm....on a negative walker needs to stay onside much more, he's quick enough to not have to steal a yard...however....we go again
Away days

Postby Tempie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 am

Away days wrote:Gutted to have lost the game. The home game we just couldnt break them down ... but not for the lack of trying...as for away we knew they would have to be more adventurous but the pitch and conditions decided the out come of this game before a ball was kicked....as for nick haughton in the early games his vision and passing was next to none, but now i feel he is trying to carry the team too much, have we as fans heaped too much praise on such young shoulders?..... in a positive note i felt adam anson again was superb, comfortable in possession and also looked for the ball....and matty hughes needs to start more games...he is direct and quick and has great enthusiasm....on a negative walker needs to stay onside much more, he's quick enough to not have to steal a yard...however....we go again

Agree about anson and Hughes. But walker quick! He must be the slowest forward in the league! He was quick 5 years ago! Sorry to be blunt but his time for starting games is over. Hughes or Mooney should start up top until will finally sign a striker
Tempie

Postby extech » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 am

"We go again" ------ I expected the result. We always play badly against lower teams. We don't seem to be able to break down a massed defence. " they will be motivated against Harrogate" Why not at Southport?
extech

Postby Soapbox » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Rhys Turner is the one who signed for Stockport on loan from Morecambe, having previously played for them. Its interesting that the 'remoaners' only seem to post on negative results - didn't hear much from them after Salford game. Its alright people expressing an opinion but you need to have some knowledge of the subject you are critiquing. Just because I have been on a plane doesn't mean I can then criticise Quantum Physics
Soapbox

Postby Tempie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Soapbox wrote:Rhys Turner is the one who signed for Stockport on loan from Morecambe, having previously played for them. Its interesting that the 'remoaners' only seem to post on negative results - didn't hear much from them after Salford game. Its alright people expressing an opinion but you need to have some knowledge of the subject you are critiquing. Just because I have been on a plane doesn't mean I can then criticise Quantum Physics
e

It’s a bit presumptuous to suggest that people haven’t got knowledge! Yes it can be quiet on here after good results. Point taken! But I wasn’t going to post anything on here or Facebook until I heard matts post match interview. To say that he was pleased with the performance and that the result flattered Southport is a joke and insulting to the 400 fans that turned up in the pouring rain not to mention those of us that walked! He is quick enough to revel in the glory of beating Salford but for Christ’s sake say it how it is after defeats! It wasn’t good enough we missed massive chances and then made stupid mistakes at the back. Why can’t he just say “some players need to buck up or I’ll find someone else” or “they need to start playing every week not just in the big games or I’ll find ones that do want to turn up every week!”

I’ll stop commenting on here after bad results when he starts taking some responsibility, shows some passion and stops feeding us the same drivel after every defeat. Most of this team are bullet proof and they know it! That’s a problem!!
Tempie

Return to Chorley FC