Nick H -thanks for the memories!

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Nick H -thanks for the memories!

Postby Paul Brennan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:21 pm

and what great ones they are -THE goal at Alfreton and also the superb strikes at Ashton Athletic, Curzon and the second at Alfreton -only pity more home fans couldn't see them. A great player and a privilege to see him in a Chorley shirt

All the best for the future Nick

http://www.chorleyfc.com/index.php/news-menu/club-news/3788-breaking-news-haughton-recalled
Paul Brennan

Re: Nick H -thanks for the memories!

Postby mike1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:45 pm

[quote="Paul Brennan"]and what great ones they are -THE goal at Alfreton and also the superb strikes at Ashton Athletic, Curzon and the second at Alfreton -only pity more home fans couldn't see them. A great player and a privilege to see him in a Chorley shirt

All the best for the future Nick

I'm with you all the way there, Paul. Without Nick's massive contributions, I believe we would have had a very poor season so far. With our very limited scoring power, his 13 goals have been absolutely vital. They were key to the FA Cup cash injection of course which has been of incalculable value to the club and also in my opinion his goals and assists have kept us out of the bottom six in the league which is probably even more important. On top of that, Nick galvanised the crowd whenever he got on the ball; okay, his runs didn't always have an end-product but the potential thrill was there and every team needs its talisman. Thank goodness we have 38 points on the board as the bottom half of the table is full of potential survivors with even Curzon on 30 points having work to do. It would seem that Fleetwood have either received a bid or are expecting to. Clubs higher up the chain than Salford will no doubt have eyed Nick's potential. I join in thanking him for his wholehearted efforts at Chorley and in wishing him well - and just wish we could afford him ourselves.
mike1

Postby andrewa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:06 pm

It would be nice to think that Fleetwood will be very pleased at the way Nick has performed, its put him in the shop window and it seems to have worked. Hopefully we have formed a good relationship with Fleetwood and something similar can happen again in the future.
andrewa

Postby Ed » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Sky Sports today said Salford to bid for 2 players. Salford forum mentions Harrogate 's Leesley and Nick.
Ed

Postby mike1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Ed wrote:Sky Sports today said Salford to bid for 2 players. Salford forum mentions Harrogate 's Leesley and Nick.

I suppose the news that Salford have swooped to sign Nick Haughton on a permanent deal should come as no surprise. It just seems a pity that Nick is joining another club at our level rather than one higher up the pyramid. Once again, money talks and it would be interesting to discover how much Salford have shelled out - I suspect a sizeable amount given the speed of Nick's recall by Fleetwood and the rapid transfer negotiations. It all goes to show what we are up against financially at National League level and reinforces the reality of the difficulties our management team face when trying to recruit top players especially in the summertime. We are hardly at the head of the queue when talking terms nowadays. I can only say that we should be grateful for what we are achieving in being competitive and nearer the top than the bottom in what is becoming an increasingly cash-driven division. Still, one positive as outlined in the chief executive's comments is the close ties we are maintaining with Fleetwood which raise the possibility of further loan-arrangements in the future. We've certainly done them a favour by showcasing Nick's talents. I hope his skin is thick enough to stand up to the hair-dryer treatment in the Salford dressing-room so regularly administered by that iconic management duo! It will be a culture shock after the kid-gloves approach at Victory Park.
mike1

Postby man in the stand » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Don't worry folks. We've always got Dale Whitham!! (Ha)
man in the stand

Postby andrewa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Feeling slightly smug to have predicted he would end up at a moneyed local rival, not hard to forecast mind you.
For me the future is; a continuing good relationship with Fleetwood plus an emphasis on home grown locally based talent, although recent history tells me the latter probably won't happen. To me it's essential given that we cannot hope to compete in the high money stakes. Buying promotion is empty and worthless, anyone can buy success, do most true fans really want that?
A well run youth set up could not only make the club much needed finances but will ensure that the club has a true grass roots basis. Couple this with loans and some experienced older players and off we go......!
andrewa

Return to Chorley FC