Zzzzzzzz....

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Zzzzzzzz....

Postby andrewa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 am

The forum seems to have gone sleepy again, anybody anything to say at the moment?
andrewa

Re: Zzzzzzzz....

Postby Prodigal son » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:26 pm

Doesn't seem to be much happening at the moment Andrew, wish I could say "no news is good news" but don't think that applies in this situation. Didn't go Saturday so no comment from me on the game. Just wish we would get somebody in who knew where the bloody net is or get Jordan Darr in on a contract before somebody else does.
Prodigal son

Postby andrewa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:52 pm

There's not a lot wrong with the team, except the obvious lack of firepower. Would it not be nice to see Darr given a decent chance?
andrewa

Postby Prodigal son » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Would love to see Darr given a decent chance in the first team, just don't see it happening with MJ in charge, he just doesn't seem to want to give our youngsters a chance. I am beginning to think the Devolopment Squad is a waste of time as all we seem to do is produce lads who go on to play for other teams, mainly in the NPL, eg Southworth and Coyle at Prescot, the 3 lads at Skem and Declan Evans at Mossley, I don't believe it will matter how well they do at these clubs we won't see them back in Chorley colours. I really hope I am wrong about this but that is my view.
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:34 pm

I agree with everything posted above! I exchanged messages with a club official a week or so ago and it’s safe to say the development squad is here to stay! I for one though can’t see how in the current form it works!! It’s not fit for purpose in my mind! Regardless of MJ and his well discussed policies.

At this current moment 3/4 of the development squad are out on loan. We actually it’s duel reg. so someone please correct me but as far as I’m aware they are not actually contacturally obliged to return. They aren’t in contact with us and can simply remain where they are currently or sign for anyone else! As shown with harry Pratt. How can that possibly work!?? If we do produce a good one, then someone else is going to take them! Hopefully someone can tell me that it isn’t the case but I think harry just proved it.

Youth development yes! Let’s have an u16s, u14s etc. Those cost next to nothing to run and it ticks boxes for the community club side of things. A development squad that costs money to run and players arent even actually contracted (contacts will cost more money) is a no from me! Big time! I’d rather just give the manager the money to sign a ready made player.

I don’t see how this model works for a club our size and with our budget. Football league clubs yes but us no! My opinions only I’m sure people will disagree.
Tempie

Postby magpie1875 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:19 pm

What would be the point of the u15's, u16's & u18's (which we currently have and more youth sides next season) if there is no way of progressing from youth football into open age football, which is a key part of the development squad.

If there is no pathway to the first team what's the point of the youth sides?

I personally haven't seen the u23 team in action but when I have seen the players involved in the first team I can see the potential in them but they were still some way off Conf North standard. Playing then in the counties and the Evo-Stik is the best way to build them up from u23 to first team.

It's the same as what the likes of Fleetwood Town do; blood thier youth players in the lower league's to speed up their development.
magpie1875

Postby Prodigal son » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 pm

The difference being Fleetwood players are loaned as they are on contract, ours go on dual registration and can bugger off at will, when they realise they get no opportunity at Chorley.
Prodigal son

Postby andrewa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 pm

I think someone needs to address this with our "community" club. Are there any lines of communication or do the fans ( who have valid opinions) have to feed on scraps. When was the last fans forum? Surely, as has been said there needs to be a progression route for U21s with achievable targets ie the first team and beyond. The fans have put their hands in their pockets and supported the U21s surely they are entitled to an explanation as to why the set up seems to be dysfunctional? Why also are we developing young players then effectively releasing them for other clubs to reap the benefits? What do the Directors have to say?
andrewa

Postby magpie1875 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:30 am

Prodigal son wrote:The difference being Fleetwood players are loaned as they are on contract, ours go on dual registration and can bugger off at will, when they realise they get no opportunity at Chorley.

It would be great if we could afford to put all our players on a contract, but unfortunately I doubt we can afford that at the moment and so are in the same boat as virtually every other part-time club.

andrewa wrote:I think someone needs to address this with our "community" club. Are there any lines of communication or do the fans ( who have valid opinions) have to feed on scraps. When was the last fans forum? Surely, as has been said there needs to be a progression route for U21s with achievable targets ie the first team and beyond. The fans have put their hands in their pockets and supported the U21s surely they are entitled to an explanation as to why the set up seems to be dysfunctional? Why also are we developing young players then effectively releasing them for other clubs to reap the benefits? What do the Directors have to say?

Information is feed out through the club website, social media and the match day programme, also the all the directors have the ability to speak, so next time you see one on VP ask!

If everyone would prefer to have a team entirely of teenagers from Chorley than I'm sure there are more than enough kids out there willing to play to have a large squad, but I'm not too sure there is the quality at the moment for them to survive in the conference. With the right coaching, the right environment and the right experiences some will progress into good players, but throwing them in because "supporters say so" is not the right model to develop players or have a competitive side in a very competitive league.
magpie1875

Postby Tempie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 am

magpie1875 wrote:
Prodigal son wrote:The difference being Fleetwood players are loaned as they are on contract, ours go on dual registration and can bugger off at will, when they realise they get no opportunity at Chorley.

It would be great if we could afford to put all our players on a contract, but unfortunately I doubt we can afford that at the moment and so are in the same boat as virtually every other part-time club.

andrewa wrote:I think someone needs to address this with our "community" club. Are there any lines of communication or do the fans ( who have valid opinions) have to feed on scraps. When was the last fans forum? Surely, as has been said there needs to be a progression route for U21s with achievable targets ie the first team and beyond. The fans have put their hands in their pockets and supported the U21s surely they are entitled to an explanation as to why the set up seems to be dysfunctional? Why also are we developing young players then effectively releasing them for other clubs to reap the benefits? What do the Directors have to say?

Information is feed out through the club website, social media and the match day programme, also the all the directors have the ability to speak, so next time you see one on VP ask!

If everyone would prefer to have a team entirely of teenagers from Chorley than I'm sure there are more than enough kids out there willing to play to have a large squad, but I'm not too sure there is the quality at the moment for them to survive in the conference. With the right coaching, the right environment and the right experiences some will progress into good players, but throwing them in because "supporters say so" is not the right model to develop players or have a competitive side in a very competitive league.

People seem to have a good way of twisting what is said! No one wants to see a team full of sub standard teenagers! What we want is our best young players to be involved with us! Not sent away with the potential never to return! As I said before the fact that we can’t put them on contract renders the whole thing as pointless in my opinion. Andrew the fans forums are pointless. They tell us what we want to here but nothing changes. After the last forum I think he “signed” 4 development squad players into the first team. Have they played? They just got invited to training that’s about it.

This all sounds negative but I actually applaud the club for trying to help young players but at that age group it doesn’t work because it costs money, we’ve little chance of ever finding a star because they are already signed on at league Club academies and if we do then we won’t keep him.

The boys teams are fine because they are free and they help the local kids and spread the club’s profile into the community
Tempie

Postby andrewa » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:14 am

I agree with what you say Tempie. The only reason for my objections to all this is that the U21s seems like a complete waste of money. And that is money the club could be using much more effectively. Why do they not make a decision to end the U21s and accept that under the current setup there will never be a progression route into the first team squad? I fully accept that if the management want to go down a different route, ie loans ( and to be fair the Fleetwood relationship seems to be working) then bite the bullet and commit to this system. I'm sure the fans would back the management.
andrewa

Postby Tempie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:31 am

Andrew I’ll send you a message on here later.
Tempie

Postby toploader999 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:40 am

sounds like a bromance is on the cards :lol:
toploader999

Postby magpie1875 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:51 am

toploader999 wrote:sounds like a bromance is on the cards :lol:

:shock:
magpie1875

Return to Chorley FC