Ferriby - Are we wasting money?

Talk about the Magpies. Be respectful to others, no swearing, insulting posts or libellous remarks please.

Moderators: Ian Livesey, Pete Rothwell, Moderators

Ferriby - Are we wasting money?

Postby Ed » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:31 pm

Disappointing result today. Are playoffs still on? And if we get there, then what realistic chance of winning?
Another 2 wins and our league place is safe.. So either attract a proven striker, which we have had difficulty in doing so far, and SERIOUSLY go for playoffs...
OR save money by bringing in youth, offload some senior players including loanees, and start to think about next season.
Last edited by Ed on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed

Re: Are we wasting money?

Postby andrewa » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:46 pm

The playoffs are still on, all it needs is a couple of wins........however, failure to beat NFU with their appalling record makes you think where are these wins going to come from.
It's certainly true that money could be saved from now to the end of the season, also that now is a good time to ring the changes, younger players etc, but is this going to happen?
This might sound pessimistic, but I doubt very much if we get into the playoffs that we have the quality to beat the likes of Harrogate, Kidderminster and Spennymoor. It wouldn't surprise me if we beat Gainsborough next week, but this would be papering over the cracks I think.
andrewa

Re: Ferriby - Are we wasting money?

Postby Paul Brennan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:04 pm

Ed wrote:Disappointing result today. Are playoffs still on?

Truth is "disappointing" is not even close -we were very poor again against a side with an appalling record in the league. Too many mediocre players on the squad -and the loanees are simply not good enough, full stop. Can't score -we know that -but also some can't pass, can't tackle and don't create. Those who will say we made chances and were unlucky not to score more -sorry, it's gone on too long to still have any credibility.

Play offs? on today's showing -no chance.
+

Not really negative here I feel, just realistic
Paul Brennan

Postby Prodigal son » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Totally agree with you, Paul, we were truly abysmal today. The trouble is our midfield is totally inadequate, I know lots of folk think Jake is great, but for my money he has had a poor season this time, O'Keefe and Wilson are incapable of creating anything or winning tackles, the front line are woeful, why Jansen keeps bringing in these loanees, just because one of his old mates "raves" about a player is beyond me, Brewster offers no appetite for the game, doesn't challenge for the ball and his first touch is awful.
Unfortunately we all know that nothing will change, the same squad will turn out again on Tuesday, and hopefully get 3 points but again that will paper over the cracks. Needs to start dismantling this squad now and prepare for a full on assault next season, the play off are a pipe dream, and even if we did make it we would only be making up the numbers.
Just not good enough, and like you Paul, this is not negative it is realistic.
Prodigal son

Postby Tempie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Time for changes, big changes! If mr Jansen isn’t prepared or capable of doing that then he’s the change. Harsh maybe but it’s the simple truth.
Tempie

Postby man in the stand » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:22 am

The new mantra from the management seems to be 'we need to battle and fight'. 'Fantastic team spirit' seems to have taken a holiday.
Now there is nothing wrong with battling and fighting on the pitch, although it went a little too far v Kidderminster. It looks to me like we have to do it more than necessary because we constantly put ourselves under pressure, due to four of the regular back five being shocking passers of the ball. Either launching the ball to the opposition or out of play. The pass completion from the three centre backs today must have been around 20%. As defenders I wouldn't swap them for any three centre backs in the league. But any of them, with the ball at their feet are like rabbits in the headlights. There is no composure, which is surprising for players with their experience. It is frightening to watch them pass the ball around at the back and regularly play themselves into trouble or get caught in possession.
The whole team recently just seem to struggle to get the basics right, but if someone does have a poor game there is no competition for places. Our best right back (in my opinion) left the club because he couldn't get a game, so we have no cover there. A very decent left back was on the bench today, because our best midfield passer of the ball is being wasted playing in his position. I don't think Matt (or many new fans) even know that Adam Roscoe was a goalscoring centre forward before Garry Flitcroft played him (quite successfully) as a stand-in midfielder. So, to me, there would be a few options to change things around, but we have to be realistic. Matt really does have his favourites and I have always thought possibly is a little too friendly with them to hurt their feelings.
At the other end of the scale, John Flanagan, the Curzon Ashton manager made it clear to some of his players after a recent defeat, promising that they would be replaced (even on Curzons tiny budget) because they were not playing how he wanted them to. Somehow I cannot imagine Matt making that sort of statement in the changing room. I don't know what the solution is, but my pre season prediction of a 12th place finish is looking good.
man in the stand

Postby mike1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:05 am

man in the stand wrote:we constantly put ourselves under pressure, due to four of the regular back five being shocking passers of the ball. Either launching the ball to the opposition or out of play. The pass completion from the three centre backs today must have been around 20%. As defenders I wouldn't swap them for any three centre backs in the league. But any of them, with the ball at their feet are like rabbits in the headlights. There is no composure, which is surprising for players with their experience.
Our best right back (in my opinion) left the club because he couldn't get a game, so we have no cover there. A very decent left back was on the bench today, because our best midfield passer of the ball is being wasted playing in his position. My pre season prediction of a 12th place finish is looking good.

I don't wish to defend a poor showing today but we should be careful not to get things too far out of perspective. It's over the top in my view to describe our back five as 'shocking passers of the ball' though I agree the tendency to launch long balls is all too evident. We played our way out of defence with some success today apart from Steve Jordan's clanger in losing possession and leaving us wide open to the counter which ultimately brought the second Ferriby goal. And of course Matt Urwin's gaffe was totally responsible for the first goal, quite out of character for such a consistently good keeper. We missed Matt Challoner today but we also missed Dale Whitham - again! Assuming Dale is fit, why is he suddenly out of favour? A box-to-box midfielder who scores goals - who wouldn't want that asset? At 2-1 up, he should have been introduced to shore up midfield. I think the players and management felt that at 2-1 it was only a matter of time before it became 4-1 or more - but the first priority should have been to keep the back door shut. We had too little cover against the quick breakaway time and again. Creatively, we lacked the magic ball to unlock a team defending in depth, a team with a terrible defensive record, mind you! Unfortunately, the stats are against us for the play-offs - too many drawn games, especially at home. I agree with Man in the stand that his predicted mid-table finish will be about right, but there is still work to be done to achieve that level of respectability.
mike1

Postby Ian Livesey » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:42 am

To be fair mike1, he said 4 out the back 5 are shocking passers of the ball (I assume Blakeman is the odd one out). Also have to chuckle at your comment about Whitham being a "box to box midfielder who scores goals" April 2017 was his last goal in the 2-2 draw with Gloucester. Dale's featured 16 times this season. Cottrell is playing that role this season but has also failed to find the net which is uncharacteristic even by his standards.

Our defence lumbers back and are very much beaten for pace (apart from Scotty Leather) as Teague and Jordan are in their 30s and both slowing down against young quick forwards. These two should be their last season. Our midfield is non existent again because of the loonnnnnggg balls up field by the aforementioned Teague/Jordan. I also think Whitham and Cottrell (as good as he is) should be released too. Was talking to another fan today and he mentioned the reason why Man United were so successful under Ferguson was the fact they had squads which were rotated every 4 years. Those that have been here for 5/6/7 years have been successful for us, but things can get quite stale and we should be ruthless at the end of the season by showing some the door.

It's always been the case of not picking enough points up against bottom of the league sides. We've got to be more brutal and start putting these sort of teams to the sword. Tuesday will be very interesting indeed.

What is pleasing though is that we've started scoring from corners again, but not these silly fancy corner routines, but ones sent direct into the 6 yard box.
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby extech » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 am

We are now back to where we were before Nick arrived. Hoofball is back and every team we play has well and truly worked out our system of play. Why can't things be changed around? He may be rusty by now but we have an able midfielder who can pass the ball and tackle. His name is Adam Roscoe, Matt
extech

Postby Prodigal son » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Agree, Extech, I would go 4 at the back, with Beesley at LB, midfield of Whitham. Roscoe, Blakeman and Cottrell, but then again that won't happen because O'Keefe is not included. Time to wake up and smell the coffee, start changing things now.
Prodigal son

Postby Ed » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:46 pm

Many teams thrive with powerful strikers who don't rush around, preferring to hang around the box including
Ainge at Harrogate, Parkin at York, even Rowe at Fylde.
Adam R has a powerful shot and has scored some brilliant headers. With Carver's pace alongside and Walker coming on in support (Walker seems to score more as a sub) they could provide a better answer to our striker problem than bringing in underperforming loan players.
Ed

Postby Ed » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:49 pm

Prodigal son wrote:Agree, Extech, I would go 4 at the back, with Beesley at LB, midfield of Whitham. Roscoe, Blakeman and Cottrell, but then again that won't happen because O'Keefe is not included. Time to wake up and smell the coffee, start changing things now.

Agree Beesley at LB to release Blakeman into midfield. See comment under Gainsborough post re their midfield.
Ed

Postby RedJag » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm

An interesting interview by Jack Lester the Chesterfield manager. A bit long, but from about 5 minuted in he talks about Delial Brewster and then goes on to discus his team in general and tactics which I found interesting.
Unfortunately I missed Saturday's game so I can not comment on his assessment of Delial.

https://www.peakfm.co.uk/news/local-spo ... stevenage/
RedJag

Postby Paul Brennan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:06 pm

Lester says Brewster "isn't fit enough" and IMO nothing much has changed since. He also looks like he not very interested in playing -body language is "am I bovvered?"

If I was manager -and just as a fan anyway- I would expect players to get fit in their own time -and if they can't or won't get to the required standard, they shouldn't get near being included in the squad. If Brewster starts tomorrow, it speaks volumes and not just about him.
Paul Brennan

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:20 pm

What Johnathan Smith said to us at Curzon post game, it seems the management are banking a lot on Brewster becoming fitter and adapting his play to VNLN standards as playing league football is "mechanically different" to this level. In the league they tend to not run around as much and expect balls into a certain area for them to work with. VNLN standards aren't like that, players are rewarded (I feel) by making runs on and off the ball. He did seem to improve a bit at Darlington, but then went back into this box against NFU this Saturday.

All forwards would be 20+goal a season men if they get the service, and yes, alright we've scored 6 goals in the last 3 games, 3 of them have been from corners (another plus point I feel as I've made my feelings known on here previously)
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby Tempie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:34 pm

If a young 20yo lad isn’t fit enough at a full time club then that speaks volumes! All those facilities and time! That’s a joke and we’ve been silly enough to take him on.
Tempie

Postby Prodigal son » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:46 pm

Sorry, but can't accept this about fitness and willingness to work at this level, if he doesn't want to "get stuck in" then fire him off and get a young lad in who is willing to work his knackers off for the cause! It's the clear attitude and body language, it's just disgraceful, we are being conned and so are the Management.
Prodigal son

Postby Ian Livesey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:21 pm

I take it Mooney has gone
Ian Livesey
Site Admin

Postby andrewa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:28 am

How many unsuccessful signings/ loans have we had this season? Why do incoming players not get picked, why do no youth players never get a chance,? Why do players come in and leave weeks later having not even been on the pitch? Does anybody have any suggestions?
andrewa

Return to Chorley FC